Friday 4 February 2011

Current drives

At the moment, there really isn't a huge amount of things going on in my life. I guess the biggest part is the continuation and development of my shooting goals.

I have come to realise quite early on that my chances in achieving what I'd like to do is quite small, and I am not terribly daunted by it.

Putting things into perspective, after a particular post on Archery-Forum, by Andy!, someone that I have a lot of respect for, is that, my goals are probably more towards a long term strategy than short. While it is quite fanciful to think about making it for Olympic selections in 2012, at my age, being turning 30 years year, it is actually not that far fetched to consider I may still be contentionable even in 2016, at the age of 35. I say this because Michael Naray was born 1970, and was 38 when he attended the 2008 Olympics, and Matthew Gray, born 1973, attended the same 2008 Olympics at the age of 35, not to mention the 2010 Commonwealth Games in India.

So, while I am working hard to raise my level to somewhere for next year, if I fail, especially due to the minimum fitness requirements, I know I'm not going to be heartbroken, but it will give me another 3 years to slowly work through things and continue to look forward. How long? I don't know, but, the Silver Medalist in 2004 was a 42 year old gentleman from Japan.... never too late to start, right? Right.

At present, if you have a look at my shooting blog, I'm putting down a reasonable number of arrows a week. I don't know how long I might be able to sustain this since I am feeling a little bit of fatigue and shoulder tenderness, I hope that I am not pushing it too far and causing injury, but only time will tell, since I unfortunately lack the support that the people who do have AIS support, and better resources, have. I don't really even have much coaching support either since I'm a little-known nobody.

That said, I've made the executive decision to spend a large sum of my savings in upgrading my equipment to stay current with the 'competition' as it were. It's been over five years since I've changed my gear, and so, I think investing heavily should suffice for a while to come.

I look forward to my next QRE, though, the Metro's should be interesting in a few weeks, to see what my 70m and 50m combined score gives.

I realise that this should really be posted on my shooting blog as it is related, but I felt that it was more appropriate for those who read my regular life, to know what I'm thinking as I go through this, since the readership of my shooting diary is... so small, that it's not worthwhile. lol.

But, thats okay :) So, this Sunday is a club tournament at Sydney Bowmen. 800+ is the goal. Do-able? Yes. Lets just see if my body can take it....

No comments: