Tuesday 3 August 2004

Hmm,
Today was WINDY.
Like, total gale force winds. Very fast, very strong, very annoying!!!!!

I tried to shoot in this horrendious wind for two and a half hours, and finally gave up.
I guess the shoot wasn't such a bad thing, as I learnt something from Dan about how to hold the string, which actually works quite well for me.

It's called the roll method. Normally, I grip the string in the first joint of my fingers, and having my fingers flexed to hold the string in place. Once I'm at full draw, and I pull through the clicker, I then flip my hand open (although I'm trying to learn to just relax it open) and away it goes.

On good shots, it flys very well, but more often than not, I pluck it, and so the string throws the arrow quite badly in some direction left/right.

The roll method is slightly different in how you use the string. You start the string in the middle of the fingers, and pull your hand, still relaxed, towards you as you draw. What then happens is the natural friction and force of the string will cause the tips of your finger just past the first joint to bunch up, forming a bulge, that the string then stops at. The hand and fingers are still quite relaxed compared to the other method. Once through the clicker, your hand just relaxes again, and away it goes, a lot cleaner. And even if you pluck it, it is still a lot cleaner because there is less motion happening....

Quite nifty.

No comments: