Sunday 24 September 2006

Been looking at replacing the head unit in my car, and it's a pretty difficult thing to do.

I kind of did the westie thing, being in shorts and thongs and a t-shirt, and took out my car seat, and then proceeded to unwire the inside console of my car to remove the CD stacker inside my car.

Then, put everything back.

But then, I'd like to get a mp3 CD playing head unit, instead of the Cassette only unit there. Nothing wrong with it, just that it only plays tapes and radio. Even though I do have a tape collection, it's not particularly good or extensive either.

Well, I found a forum, www.caraudioaustralia.com.au and they are pretty good there. Asking there, I found out that my car is the standard DIN size (there are different industry standards depending on car manufacturers and countries), and that my car may require a special adaptor depending on how the factory unit was wired (directly, or via plugs).

Then, comes, actually finding a decent unit to my liking. Brand names, like Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood etc, Alpine, Eclipse, all pretty expensive. Though, there are other brands like JVC, which are cheaper but are not known for their quality and reputation either. So, I don't really know what to get.

And then, the install. Autobarn does installation for $90. I could try to self install, but if I get it wrong, goodness know what that will do. And it was also suggested that I replace the speakers in the car as stock speakers would not truely represent the head unit's abilities.

It's very very complex and confusing, but, hopefully one day, I'll get it sorted, and perhaps upgrade my car audio a little eh.

No comments: