Tuesday 5 February 2008

My brother got the parts for the new computer that he is building for his friend Jimmy (yes another one, not Kendo Jimmy). Anyway, they decided to go with a Antec 900 Case, which is a 'gaming' case compared with my P180 which is more of a sleek sophisticated approach with noise control. I've always liked the Antec cases, and they have good features and design. I was considering getting the 900 for my computer last year, but reading the reviews, I actually decided against it because of dust issues, and now seeing one in person, I am glad I didn't get one. On my P180, I have two inlet and two outlet spaces for airflow. The inlet at the front has removable dust filters. And they really work. I also pulled the trick where you tape off all your gaps and it forces are and dust only through the open gaps, ie through the filter. I have three 120mm fans running inside my case, one at the harddrives, and two exhaust at the back.

On the Antec 900 case, there are no dust filters. The front has two intake air fans, the back has one, and you have the option of adding another two 120mm fans taking it to 4. On the top is a whopping 200mm fan. That is a heck of a lot of air flow, which is all well and good, but, no dust filter means a heck of a lot of dust, so you really do have to do regular cleaning to ensure your computer isn't going to choke up on it. The button positions and sockets were also not that ideal for me as I like my case on the desk top position, and the sockets are on the top of the case where as on the P180, they are on the front panel, which is far more convenient to reach for me. Besides that though, it is a nice looking case, and supposedly will be blue lit once turned on, so very 'bling'.

He has all the parts, including the PSE I wanted but couldn't get in stock when I purchased (the Corsair HX520 modular) except for the CPU which is ordered but yet to be received by delivery.

He also got the XFX 8800GTS 512mb card and it came with Company of Heros.

Should be interesting to see how the system turns out once it is built.

No comments: